If you take good care of your jewelry, it will shine forever.
If you want your jewelry to keep shining, looking as good as new then you need to start taking good care of them. The key word is 'good'. Imagine having a car and not washing it for years, that's the same thing with jewelry, they should be cleaned and kept in a box.
Here are some tips on how to maintain your jewelry.
- Take your jewelry off before doing any major work or sports. No matter what materials are involved, jewelry is delicate. You should always remove your jewelry when working with your hands or engaging in activities. Also take them off before you sleep.
- Bathe and apply your lotion before putting your jewelry on. A few gemstones like pearls are vulnerable to acids, even perspiration. Whether you're wearing diamonds, pearls or rhinestones, the chemicals from make-up, hair products, and perfume can damage your pieces.
- When storing jewelry, keep it away from sunlight, excessive heat or damp conditions.
- Avoid using harsh cleaners on jewelry. The chemicals in some of these are exceedingly harsh and are likely to strip the metals. Use them only for silver and gold, only when it is necessary since they aren't always the best solution.
- Keep your jewelry pieces separately: No matter how careful you are, it can sustain damage during storage. This comes from pieces getting tangled. The best way to solve this problem is to store your pieces separately, so they don't touch one another. Jewelry pouches for your most valuable items and tarnish-resistant jewelry bags for silver pieces are needed.